Why You Should Teach Your Kids to Golf
When it comes to your children, you teach them lots of things. You teach them good manners. You teach them to read. You teach them how to pick up their rooms. And, you probably teach them about sports.
There are lots of sports that kids can participate in. They might choose soccer, basketball, baseball, or softball. They might even try football, cheerleading, or cross-country running.
But if you’re a fan of golf, they may want to take up the sport that you love. And golf is a great sport for kids.
Why is golf such a good sport for kids? There are lots of reasons – and here are just a few of them!
- Golf Gets Them Outdoors: Kids seem to be spending more and more time indoors nowadays. And they’re spending lots of time on electronics – whether it be gaming or watching YouTube, or texting their friends.
- But golf is a sport that has to be played outdoors! A nine-hole round of golf takes approximately 2 hours 15 minutes, and 18 holes take about 4 hours 30 minutes – all outside! What a great way to enjoy the day!
- Golf Is Great Exercise: Youth golfers who go on to participate in tournaments will be walking their rounds – just like the professional players they see on television. The average golfer walks between 3 and 6 miles when they play 18 holes – making golf a great form of exercise.
- Plus, in order to improve, golfers need to work on their strength and flexibility – which leads to additional exercise.
- Golf Can Be Played as a Family: Are you looking for a sport that the whole family can do together? Golf is it! All of you can head to the course to play some golf. Even if you’re not that great at golf, you can choose a format (such as scramble) that works for all of you!
- Golf Teaches Etiquette: Are you working hard to teach your kids good manners and etiquette? Golf can help – because there is some definite golf etiquette that players should be aware of. And good etiquette carries over into many other parts of children’s lives.
- Golf Is a Game of Improvement: There are very few people who go to the golf course and find themselves to be amazing golfers immediately. Golf is a game of improvement.
- With this in mind, children will be able to see how their hard work and commitment to the sport helps them to get better.
- Golf Builds Character: Because golf is a challenging game, you will find that golf helps to build character.
- There will be tough days on the course. There will be missed shots. Poor putts. Balls in the water and the sand. But kids can learn to persevere through these things. Additionally, they’ll learn that one bad shot does not have to destroy a round.
- Golf Is a Sport for a Lifetime: Golf is a sport that can be played for a lifetime. No matter if you’re young or old, you can enjoy the game of golf.
- Golf Is Social: Some sports don’t allow you to hold a conversation and engage with your fellow competitors when playing, but golf is not that sport. Because you can go to the course and actually talk with your kids, it’s a great social sport.
- Golf Is Fun: Sure, it’s a frustrating sport, but golf can also be a lot of fun – especially if you learn to laugh through the bad shots.
If you have a child who wants to play a sport but isn’t sure which one – why not introduce them to golf? They may find that they really love the challenge it gives them – and you’ll love all that it teaches them.