Questions to Ask on College Tours
If you have a child thinking about college, you probably have a lot on your plate. You have to make sure your child is registered for the SATs and ACTs. You have to make sure that college essays are being written and that applications are being submitted. And, you have to go visit the colleges to make sure you find the right match for your son or daughter. It’s a busy time.
College visits are a crucial part of the decision-making process. They allow you and your child to see the campus up-close and, hopefully, hear from students who are currently attending. If you’ve never gone on a college visit, you may be wondering what questions you should be asking.
Don’t head off to your campus visits unprepared. Here are some of the more popular questions you and your child should be asking during a college tour.
- Why did you choose this college?
- Are you happy here?
- What are three things you love about College X? And, what are three things you wish you could change?
- Can you easily talk to your advisor? Financial aid officers? Other administrators?
- What majors are popular here?
- Have you changed your major before? Is it an easy process?
- How do you find class sizes to be?
- What electives have you taken? Which were your favorite?
- How do you find your professors?
- Are many of your classes taught by teaching assistants?
- Do you find it easy to register for your first-choice classes?
- Are the classes mostly lectures or do you find them to be interactive?
- How much time are you spending outside of class doing homework?
- Do you have a lot of group projects?
- Do your professors have regular office hours? Are there other ways to get academic help?
- Is study abroad a possibility here?
- Where do you usually go to study?
- What kind of clubs and activities are there?
- What kind of things can you do off campus?
- What do you do when you’re not in class or on the weekends?
- Do all freshmen have to live in a dorm?
- What’s dorm life like?
- Are the RAs nice?
- What are freshmen dorms like? Is it two to a room or more?
- How are the dining halls?
- Can the dining halls handle allergies?
- Are there lots of fraternities and sororities here?
- Is the wifi decent?
- Would you call this a diverse campus?
- Does the school help with finding internships or jobs after graduation?
- Do you currently work? Are part-time jobs easy to come by?
- Is there a campus health center? What’s the service like?
- Can freshmen have a car? Where do you park your car if you live on campus?
- Have you taken summer courses? What are summers like here?
- Are sports popular?
- Do you think the campus has a lot of school spirit?
- Are there intramural sports? What kind of sports are there?
- Are there gyms available on campus for student use?
There’s no better resource than an actual student attending the college or university that your son or daughter is interested in. They will know the ins and outs and provide you with a realistic view of campus life. Be sure to ask your student tour guides any and all questions. They’ll be very happy to give you the scoop.