Best Beach Activities for the Whole Family
Summertime is made for warm days in the sand and surf. Pack up the entire family and make a trip over to your favorite beach to spend some quality time together. Create family traditions by playing games and doing activities together out on the beach. It’ll guarantee good times for the kids, and give you lots of laughs to think back on during the year. It doesn’t take much to have a great day out on the beach. Here are some of the best beach activities for the whole family:
- Build A Sand Castle: Sand castles are tried and true fun activities that will never become boring at the beach. If you’re not sure where to start, then look to places like Pinterest for some creative inspiration. Even though it’s called a castle, it can be a different shape other than a building. Carve your favorite animal out of the sand. You can write funny thought bubbles back and forth from the different sand animals. Whether you want to go the more traditional route, or if you’re going to let your creativity flow, you’ll need a few sand tools. Have some shovels and buckets to help you make your creation come to life.
- Fly A Kite: Before you go out a buy a kite, make sure that the beach you are traveling to allows kites on the beach. The natural wind makes flying a kite extra easy. Give yourself some string, get a running start, and let the kite soar up. You can also tie it off on a cooler or chair which can act as a quick way for you to recognize where your things are. When you go out in the surf, the current can push you around, and you may get pushed from where you originally got in. The kite can help you locate where you need to be.
- Throw A Frisbee: Throwing around a Frisbee is a simple and fun way to pass time at the beach. A frisbee is lightweight and easy for anyone to use. If your kids are a little bit older, you can get creative, and play a game of ultimate frisbee or beach disc golf. Move out of the way to the loose sand so you don’t hit anyone accidently.
- Kick a Ball: Everyone in the family knows how to kick a ball. Pack a soccer ball, or even use a beach ball, and form a little circle. Pass it back and forth. You can also pick it up and use it to play something like monkey in the middle. Be careful not to run into your neighbors!
- Build A Fort: Pack extra sheets and blankets. Let your kids get creative a make their very own shade with a fort. Let them use chairs, poles, ties, and clamps to make their private cave of beach oasis. They can read books, take a nap, and eat lunch in their fun beach fort that they made all by themselves.
- Ghost Crab Hunt: After the fun in the sun has ended, pack up and have dinner. Before you go to bed, grab a flashlight and head back out on the sand one more time. See how many little crabs you can spot scurrying across the sand dunes. The kids will get a kick out of seeing these crazy creatures come alive after dark.
Of course, playing in the waves is a blast, but there’s also lots to do on the sand. Find a place to stay for a few days, or do a simple day trip. If you’re looking for something new, you can always drive a little further to Virginia or North Carolina for a different beach experience. Either way, you can’t go wrong with these beach activities for the whole family!