Spring Festivals in Philly This May
Philadelphia has no shortage of festivals for those who enjoy getting outdoors and spending an afternoon surrounded by friends, food, and drinks! Right around this time of year, in peak festival season, the city comes together to celebration culture, history, diverse ethnicities and religions, and yes—plenty of beer and wine, to welcome Spring. What are our top picks for upcoming events in Philly this spring? Take a look!
- Philadelphia Wine Festival: May 5- Of course, this list wouldn’t be complete without something for the wine lovers! This year’s Philadelphia magazine’s Wine Festival is presented by Lexus and will be hosted at Lincoln Financial Field. The event will feature over 500 samplings from all over the world, as well as an on-site Fine Wine & Good Spirits for those who wish to purchase their favorite picks. There are also many perks for Lexus owners and VIP ticketholders, including VIP parking, a $15 gift card to the on-site wine store, and even exclusive extra tastings. The event runs from 5-9pm for VIPs, and the Grand Tasting for all is from 6:30-9pm.
- South Street Spring Festival: May 6- Also known as Spring Fest, this free event invites all to enjoy dining outdoors in the warm spring sunshine. The festival features nearly 200 vendors, multiple eating contests, concerts, and more. There’s also a Kid’s Zone for the younger attendees, so the event is fun for the whole family. Beer lovers won’t want to miss Maifest, a German beer and dancing event that takes place along South Street at Brauhaus Schmitz.
- Sly Fox Bock Fest and Goat Race: May 6- No, we’re not kidding. There’s nothing else quite like this beer festival, complete with a light-hearted goat race that is held at Sly Fox’s brewery in Pottsville. The event runs from 11am-6pm and features live music and a large German menu alongside plenty of bock-style beers for craft beer lovers from all over. You can even visit Sly Fox’s website and meet the contenders before the race! (Our bets are on McGilligoat).
- Broad Street Run– May 7- The 2017 Broad Street Run is a 10-mile point-to-point course that leads runners around Philadelphia on a flat and steady run. The race draws thousands of people annually to gather along the streets and cheer on participants. In addition to the race, there are also plenty of fun activities for the kids, including caricature art, face painting, a petting zoo, and balloon artists. Available on the website is a history of the weather on previous race days, and more information about the course and how to register, so be sure to check it out!
- Chinese Lantern Festival at Franklin Square: May 9- June 11- The second annual Chinese Lantern Festival kicks off its five-week run in Franklin Square. 15,000 LED lights and a 200-foot-long Chinese dragon will decorate the streets, along with live folk dance performances and even a beer garden! In addition to the impressive handmade creations, there will also be a carousel and a mini golf course. The festival will be featuring 29 fun, new lanterns, and vendors will be showcasing unique handmade items in celebration of the Chinese culture.
- Celebration of Black Arts– May 1-31- All month long, Philly celebrates the impressive art and literature of the African-American community. The Literary and Arts Conference includes live literature readings, performances, panel discussions, interactive workshops, and of course an outdoor festival, all held in celebration and recognition of notable artists and authors within the community. There’s also an awards ceremony and a youth track for the younger ones! Check out their website to learn more about the Celebration of Black Arts and every event it offers.
When it comes to festivals in spring, Philadelphia is the place to be. There are plenty of day-long, week-long, and even month-long events in May that are fun for the whole family, so get out there and enjoy the nice weather!