How to Find the Right Life Coach
You’ve probably read articles or blogs about the benefits of having a life coach. Maybe you have friends or family members who have one and love to share how much help their coach has been.
Verywell Mind says a life coach is: a type of wellness professional who helps people make progress in their lives in order to attain greater fulfillment.
And if you’re thinking about hiring one to help you, there’s a lot to consider. After all, you want to hire the right person for your needs. But how do you go about doing that? Here are a few tips that can help.
- Know Your Why: Why do you want to hire a life coach? Are you looking for help with health and fitness? Do you want spiritual growth? Or help with your career or a business? Once you know your “why,” it will help you narrow down what kind of life coach you need.
- Check Out Their Social Media and Website: Most life coaches have active social media accounts and websites. You should be able to see what they’re sharing freely and what others are saying about them. Take the time to follow several of the coaches you are interested in and spend some time reading their posts, blogs, and testimonials. You can even interact with potential coaches by leaving comments and seeing how they respond.
- Pay Attention to Their Qualifications: Yes, a life coach should have extensive qualifications – but, unfortunately, many do not. It’s essential that you ask for their qualifications to make sure they’re in alignment with your needs. After all, you wouldn’t take tax advice from your plumber, so why would you take coaching advice from someone who isn’t qualified to help serve your needs?
- Schedule a Call: If you head to the websites of some of the life coaches you are checking out, you’ll find that most offer a complimentary call or discovery session. Take full advantage of this. It will give you the opportunity to see if you are a “fit” with the various coaches and learn more about them.
- Discuss Strategies: Don’t forget to ask your potential coaches what kinds of strategies they use to hold you accountable to whatever goals you set. You definitely want to know if their strategies are something you can utilize.
- Note Their Communication Style: Different coaches have different ways of communicating – and you probably have a way of communicating that works for you, too. Ask how they like to communicate. Do they text? Schedule calls? Emails? Group coaching sessions? In-person meetings?
- Do They Specialize?: Some life coaches are extremely specialized, and if that’s what you need, you need to ask. For example, if you’re looking for a coach to help you lose weight and change your eating habits, then make sure they specialize in this area.
- Ask Friends for Referrals: If you have friends or family who have worked with a life coach, ask for a referral. Recommendations are a great way to learn about a coach.
- Use a Referral Service: There are life coach referral services that can help you if you have absolutely no idea where to get started. One of the most popular is Life Coach Spotter – which has 300+ certified life coaches in its network.
- Listen to Your Instincts: If you’ve got good instincts, then listen to them when it comes to choosing the right coach for you.
If you’re ready to make some changes in your life or set some big goals for yourself, then a life coach might be just what you need. Use these tips to help you find the right one who fits what you’re after and can hold you accountable – so that you can make big things happen.