How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day with Your Children
Valentine’s Day is a day to celebrate love. Whether you are celebrating with your significant other, family members, or friends, this holiday can be fun for everyone!
If you want to celebrate with your children this year, here are some ideas that will be fun for everyone – parents included!
- Read books together that have a love theme: Take a look at your child’s collection of books and find the ones that are centered around love. (You might find that it’s quite a few!) Then spend the evening reading some of them. You can pick your favorites, and your children can do the same.
- Treat your children to their favorite meal or dessert: Do your kids have a favorite dessert? Then why not make it for Valentine’s Day? You can even get your kids to help you in the kitchen so you can spend some time together. (And if you have no time to bake – then just pick up their favorite dessert from your local grocery store or bakery.)
- Create handmade cards together: Create handmade cards together filled with well wishes and love notes. These can be given throughout the day as heartfelt surprises for each other. The best part is that they take very little time or effort on your end. Just grab some construction paper, markers, crayons, scissors, glue sticks, glitter, stickers, etc., and sit down with your child(ren). They’ll be able to let their imaginations run wild!
- Head outdoors together: If you are looking for a way to get out of the house, take your kids on a short walk, or even better – go sledding or skating! Fresh air is good for everyone, and when you come home, you can all enjoy a cup of cocoa together.
- Throw a party: Throw a party where your children can invite their friends, and you can treat them with a special Valentine’s Day-themed snack, a movie, and some crafts. They’ll love spending time with their friends.
- Watch a movie together: You can always plan a special movie night for Valentine’s Day. Start with their favorite dinner, then grab the pillows and blankets and their favorite snacks and get ready to settle in and watch a film.
- Craft together: There are tons of Valentine’s Day crafts that kids can make! So grab all of the craft supplies and spend some time together making a few that they can share with friends or send to grandma and grandpa. (Here are a few to check out!)
- Volunteer as a family: Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to spread the love and volunteer together as a family. Check in your town to see who might need some special assistance and use this day to help. (Animal shelters are a great place to check – especially if your kids are fond of dogs and cats.)
- Send them on a scavenger hunt: Kids will love going on a scavenger hunt for Valentine’s Day. And you won’t even have to create one yourself! You can use this free printable!
- Just say, “I love you.”: One of the easiest ways to celebrate the holiday is to just tell your kids how much they’re loved!
Valentine’s Day is a wonderful way to celebrate the love in your life and create lasting memories with those you care about. This year, if you’re looking for some special ways to celebrate with your children, give some of these a try! They’ll be so happy to be included in the celebration!