Feeling Down? Do These 5 Things Right Now to Instantly Lift Your Mood
It’s a Sunday afternoon, and you’re lying on your couch watching TV, but all you can do is dream about sunbathing on an island with a drink in your hand. It can be hard sometimes to stay positive and happy when you just aren’t feeling motivated. Getting stuck in the same routine day after day, whether at work or at home, can definitely take a toll on your body and mind! If you find yourself feeling down or blue, there are at least five things you can do right now that will instantly lift your mood and make you feel better.
- Hydrate. First, drink a glass of water. It is so important to get enough water every day because it replenishes and revitalizes every system of the body, leaving you feeling more energized and happy. Water not only flushes out toxins from your body, but it literally helps to improve memory, focus, fatigue, and brain fog. Drinking even one glass of water can have immediate effects on the mind, such as boosted creativity, ability to think faster, and a more positive outlook due to the balance of hormones.
- Get up. The second thing you can do to feel happier and lift your mood is to get up and do something. You don’t have to put your body through an entire workout routine, or commit to running a mile, or even leave your house. Just get up and start doing something: do the dishes, dust, clean, hang some pictures on the wall, cook a meal, or take the trash out. Getting your body moving is the most important thing and can help you feel less sluggish and more motivated overall. Plus, decluttering also leaves you feeling more accomplished and less stressed.
- Call a friend. If you’re feeling down, it might be a good idea to call a friend or family member. Just talking to another person and catching up can be a really great feeling and can help put things into perspective. Even if it just gets your mind off of your negative thoughts and gives you something to think about, it can help greatly. It’s always a good idea to connect to someone you may have lost touch with, and they may even have some advice for you too.
- Watch a funny movie. While watching TV too frequently can sometimes seem like a negative thing, watching a funny movie to lift your mood once in a while is completely shameless. Sometimes you just need a good laugh to get you through those blues! You can even invite over a friend or just cuddle up with your cat and embrace the quiet downtime you have. Get your favorite snack, put your feet up, and snap on some Netflix.
- Cook a meal. Cooking can be extremely therapeutic, even for those who don’t consider themselves to be a chef. You’d be surprised at how easy it can be to whip up an easy meal from a beginner’s recipe found online. Take a trip to the store, gather the ingredients you need, and experiment! If it doesn’t turn out, hey, you can always get take out and pretend like it never happened. Either way, don’t let it stress you out. Cooking is a healthy activity that can boost your mood, provide great nutrition, and make you feel accomplished as well.
If you’re ever feeling down and need a quick pick-me-up, then start by trying these five tips. As long as you try to stay positive and focus on what’s important, you can make it through whatever hard times you may be facing. What’s your go-to activity that instantly makes you feel better? Let us know in the comments below!