10 Movie Podcasts to Check Out
Are you a movie buff? Can you quote movies like it’s your job? Do you love watching films on the big screen and the small screen?
You’re not alone. Movies are one of the most popular forms of entertainment in the United States. And because films are so popular, there are people who want to talk about them – in the form of podcasts.
If you’re done listening to the latest true-crime podcast, you might want to add a few of these to your queue.
- Scriptnotes: Screenwriters John August and Craig Mazin discuss screenwriting and related topics in the film and television industry, everything from getting stuff written to the vagaries of copyright and work-for-hire law.
- ZOOM: ZOOM is a new podcast from Focus Features for movie lovers who want to know everything. Fueled by the inquisitive mind of film critic and host Amy Nicholson (“Unspooled,” “Halloween Unmasked”), each episode uses a modern-day movie as a launch pad to discover mind-bending facts about science, technology, and history. What kind of planet might E.T. come from? Do superstar horses “act”? Which Edwardian rules of etiquette could trip up Downton Abbey’s Lord Grantham? Featuring interviews with an eclectic mix of experts and filmmakers, ZOOM explores Hollywood’s uncharted questions.
- The Qwipster Film Review Podcast: A concise deep-dive look at the films of the 1990s, as well as newer films that were influenced by them. Hosted by Vince Leo, author of the review site Qwipster.net.
- Cinema Clash: Washington D.C. critics Charlie Juhl and Hannah Buchdahl debate new releases, from the mainstream movies Hannah tends to favor, to obscure indie and foreign films Charlie likes to champion. It’s free-flowing, unedited conversation, with the occasional wine wager. Two differing perspectives; one entertaining podcast. Let the clash begin!
- The Rewatchables: ‘The Rewatchables,’ a film podcast from the Ringer Podcast Network, features The Ringer’s Bill Simmons and a roundtable of people from the Ringer universe discussing movies they can’t seem to stop watching. Listen to the complete archives of 150-plus movies, including ‘The Hangover,’ ‘Godfather 2,’ ‘Dunkirk,’ ‘Creed,’ and many more classics, on our special ‘Rewatchables’ page on The Ringer.
- We Hate Movies: Each week the WHM gang force themselves to watch bad movies that were better left forgotten to fuel off-the-wall tangents, inane impressions and unabashed comedic silliness. This is a comedy podcast for movie lovers that can’t help but relish pure trash.
- How Did This Get Made?: Have you ever seen a movie so bad that it’s amazing? Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael and Jason Mantzoukas want to hear about it! We’ll watch it with our funniest friends, and report back to you with the results.
- This Had Oscar Buzz: Every week on This Had Oscar Buzz, film and entertainment writers Joe Reid and Chris Feil are going to be talking about a different movie that once upon a time had big-time Academy Award aspirations, and for one reason or another, it all went wrong.
- Doug Loves Movies: Comedian Doug Benson (Super High Me, Last Comic Standing) invites his friends to sit down and discuss his first love: movies!
- Pure Cinema Podcast: A weekly film podcast hosted by Elric Kane (of the Shock Waves podcast) and Brian Saur (of the Rupert Pupkin Speaks film blog) featuring discussions of new films, old films, double features, cult movies, filmmakers and movie lists among a smorgasbord of other Cinema-related things.
No matter if you need a laugh or want to hear what the critics have to say about your favorite movie, there’s a podcast for you! Download these and give them a listen!
(**All podcast descriptions courtesy of Apple Podcasts)