10 Healthy Snacks for Your Kids
When the kids come home from school, what’s the first thing they want? A snack, of course. And then they start opening the refrigerator and searching the cupboards to find just what they want.
While there are more and more healthy prepackaged snacks available at your local grocery store, sometimes it’s nice to have a homemade snack. And, it doesn’t have to be complicated to be delicious. Here are a few healthy snacks that your children will love!
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins: Banana and chocolate is a delicious combination! And when you bake them into muffin form, you have a great snack. These muffins use whole wheat pastry flour, honey, Greek yogurt, and coconut oil make them healthier than a traditional recipe – and your kids won’t notice the difference!
- Chewy Honey Granola Bars: Granola bars are a snack staple for many kids, but if you’re trying to get away from pre-packaged foods, try making these. They have great flavor from the honey, cinnamon, and chocolate chips. And, this makes a large 13×9” pan – which allows you to freeze some for later!
- Make-Ahead Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits: Yogurt is a favorite amongst kids, but it can often contain lots of added sugar. If you want to keep an eye on the amount of sugar your kids are consuming, try using plain, no-sugar-added yogurt that is sweetened with a bit of honey, like in this recipe. When you make your own yogurt parfaits, you can choose the fruits your children like, and they can grab them right from the refrigerator.
- Simple Healthy Guacamole: Guacamole is a delicious treat that your children will love to have after school. Fresh avocados, onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice are all you need to make your own. Homemade guacamole lasts about two days in the refrigerator – so be sure to eat it up quickly.
- Chocolate Coconut Energy Bites : These Chocolate Coconut Energy Bites are perfect for busy kids who come home from school and then head right back out the door for sports or other activities. They are gluten-free and contain flaxseed, chia seeds, and other healthy ingredients to give your kids a quick boost!
- Homemade Strawberry Fruit Leather: Three ingredients are all you need to make your own strawberry fruit leather at home. You’ll bake these low and slow in your oven, and then slice and wrap them in wax paper! So simple!
- Baked Apple Chips: Fall is the perfect season to go apple picking and then make some baked apple chips at home. Apples and your oven are all you need to make these! Make a lot because they won’t last long!
- Berry Swirl Frozen Yogurt Bark: If your kids come home looking for a sweet and cold treat, try this recipe. With only three ingredients, you can make this to fit your child’s taste by choosing their favorite jam and fruits.
- Instant Pot Applesauce: If you haven’t made homemade applesauce, you don’t know how delicious it can be! And preparing it in an Instant Pot makes it even easier! This recipe has no added sugar – just the taste of apples and cinnamon.
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie: Children love smoothies – and strawberry banana is definitely a favorite. With only a few ingredients, you can have this blended up in no time, and the kids can soon be starting their homework.
When the kids come home from school, offer them one of these delicious snacks. They’ll love the taste, and you’ll love knowing you made something healthy for them!